- Explain that the child will learn how to ask permission to pass by someone.
- Ask the child to stand in a tight spot, perhaps between a table and a shelf.
- “Hello [child’s name], I need to get on the other side but I don’t have enough room. Can you please move over for a moment so that I can walk through?”
- Once the child moves, say “thank you.”
- Tell the child that you are now going to stand in the way of his path, and invite the child to ask you to kindly move.
Teaching the children how to demonstrate respect by kindly asking people to make room for one’s movements, and how to move out of the way nicely.
3 1/2 to 4