- Invite the child to the lesson.
- Explain that the child will learn how to open and close a door. Ask the child to watch.
- Hover your dominant hand over the door knob. Pause.
- Slowly wrap your fingers around the door knob. Pause.
- Slowly twist the knob all the way to the right. Pause.
- Pull the door open so there is enough space to enter or exit through.
- Holding your dominant hand on the knob, place your subdominant hand on the other knob on the opposite side of the door. Pause.
- Step through the doorway, inviting the child with you. Pause.
- Take a small step back, face the door way. Pause.
- Holding the door knob, pull the door towards you so it shuts softly.
- Twist the door knob back to its original position. Pause.
- Let go of the door knob.
- Repeat these steps to get back to the starting place.
Same as presentation.
Points of Interest
Closing the door without slamming it and making a loud noise.
Control of voluntary movement, independence.
2 1/2 to 3