- Explain that the child will learn how to make an apology.
- Explain why it is important to make an apology, how the other person might feel, and how we might feel.
- Tell the child that this is something he can say after upsetting another child.
- Get on the child’s level.
- Make eye contact.
- “Hello [child’s name], I’m very sorry about what I did. I should not have done that. I will not do that again.”
- Go over various circumstances and variations.
- Tell the child that if he feels bad about upsetting another child, he can go to the hurt child and apologize. Reinforce the significance of an apology.
Teaching the children how to demonstrate respect by apologizing for words, harm, or upsetting someone else in any other way.
3 1/2 to 4